Date: Wednesday, 6 September 2023 Time: 13:30-14:00 (EAT) Event Language: English
Format: In-person Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Organized by: Sustainable Energy for All and UN Environment Programme led Cool Coalition
Africa is experiencing the adverse effects of climate change, including rising temperatures and increased frequency of heatwaves. Access to sustainable cooling solutions is crucial for ensuring the well-being, productivity, and resilience of communities and economies across the continent. This session aims to showcase leadership amongst African countries innovative and sustainable cooling technologies, policies, and initiatives in Africa, while fostering collaboration and knowledge sharing among stakeholders.
- Raise awareness of sustainable cooling and share best practices: Increase understanding of the importance of sustainable cooling in Africa’s climate action agenda and its potential to contribute to sustainable development goals by sharing best policy frameworks, regulations, and financial mechanisms for acceleration of sustainable technologies and realization of the benefits of sustainable cooling.
- Increase visibility of the Global Cooling Pledge to catalyze commitments from African countries: By showcasing champion countries and priority actions for the Global Cooling Pledge in the run up to COP28, provide African countries a platform to influence commitments needed to deliver sustainable cooling
- Share best practices: Present successful case studies and projects that demonstrate effective and sustainable cooling solutions, highlighting their environmental, economic, and social benefits.
- Facilitate collaboration: Provide a platform for stakeholders, including policymakers, businesses, researchers, and civil society organizations, to exchange knowledge, ideas, and experiences, fostering partnerships and collaboration for sustainable cooling initiatives and investments in Africa.
- Capacity building: Identify capacity-building needs and opportunities for training and skills development in the field of sustainable cooling in Africa. Introduce sustainable cooling as a key potential outcome for COP 28 and the need to deliver sustainable cooling for all in order to meet development and climate goals