Date: Friday 11th November, 2022 Time: 13:00 – 14:30pm EET Event Language: English
Organized by: UNEP, and RCREEE
Location: RCREEE Pavilion, Blue Zone, Sharm el-Sheikh International Convention Centre, Egypt
There will not be a recording available for this session.
In November 2022, Egypt will host the 27th Conference of the Parties of the UNFCCC (COP27) in Sharm El-Sheikh, with a view to building on previous successes and paving the way for future ambition. A golden opportunity for all stakeholders to rise to the occasion and tackle effectively the global challenge of climate change on both levels nationally and internationally. Egypt as the president of COP 27 assumes a clear recognition of the gravity of the global climate challenge and appreciation of the value of multilateral, collective and concerted action as the only means to address this truly global threat. MENA region faces many challenges when it comes to energy. The clean energy transition is an opportunity for many MENA countries to build sustainable energy and water systems, with the support of the international community, especially to attract the necessary investments.
The goal of the event is to provide a call to action to local and national governments, real-estate developers, investors, and utilities about the urgent need to implement sustainable cooling solutions to decarbonize cities, and raise awareness on available solutions like district cooling.
This session will raise awareness about the environmental, social, and economic benefits of district cooling. The session will also showcase the innovative, local and scalable district cooling approaches already being implemented by cities globally and the opportunities for their application in the MENA region.
- Dr. Jauad El-Kharraz, Executive Director, RCREEE
- Fethi Hanchi, General Manager, National Agency for Energy Management (ANME), Tunisia
- Gianpiero Nacci, Director of Sustainable Business and Infrastructure, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- Miriam Hinostroza, Head of Global Climate Action Unit, Energy and Climate Branch, UNEP
- Katja Dinges, Associate Director, Guidehouse
- Dr.Zhuolun Chen, Director of Regional Climate and Energy Project
- Maha Mostafa, RCREEE Chairwoman
- Antonio Di Cecca, Chief Operating Officer, Tabreed
- Giorgia Rambelli, Director Mission Innovation, Urban Transitions Mission, Secretariat of the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy
- Mostafa Hasaneen, Energy Expert, RCREEE
- Eman Adel, Sustainable Energy and Capacity Building Expert, RCREEE