The WhatGas? application is an information and identification tool for refrigerant gases: ozone depleting substances (ODS), HFCs and other alternatives. It is intended to provide a number of stakeholders, including Montreal Protocol National Ozone Officers, customs officers, and refrigeration and air-conditioning technicians with a modern, easy-to-use tool that can be accessed via mobile devices or the OzonAction website to facilitate work in the field, when dealing with or inspecting ODS and alternatives, and as a useful reference tool.
If the user requires additional information or assistance in identifying a refrigerant gas they are inspecting or that is described in the relevant paperwork, this can be easily obtained by consulting the application.
The application forms a part of UNEP OzonAction’s portfolio of activities and tools to assist developing countries. OzonAction provides assistance to various stakeholders in developing countries, including customs officers and technicians, to achieve and maintain compliance with the Montreal Protocol on Substances the Deplete the Ozone Layer.
New features published in April 2020
- An updated more user-friendly interface
- Multilingual interface: English, French and Spanish
- HFCs and HFC containing mixtures
- Latest updated ozone depleting potential and global warming potential values from the recent reports from the Montreal Protocol technology and scientific expert panels as well as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change; as well as the standard ODP and GWP values as specified in the text of the Montreal Protocol
- References to sources of all values used
- New refrigerant mixtures (with ASHRAE approved refrigerant designations)
- Values for ‘actual GWP’ and ‘Kigali Amendment context’ GWP for pure substances and mixtures (i.e. only including GWP values/components assigned to controlled hydrofluorocarbons – HFCs).
Using the application
Smartphone Application: Just search for “WhatGas?” or UNEP in the Google Play store: it’s free to download!
If you already have the application installed on your device, be sure to update to benefit from the new features.
Desktop Application: WhatGas? is available online on the OzonAction website at www.unenvironment.org/ozonaction/resources/whatgas/whatgas
The application’s flyer is available on our website: